The MAMA 2020 also known as Mnet Asian Music Awards, hosted by one of the fabulous actors of South Korea, Song Joong-ki, was broadcasted live on December 6 in South Korea with the theme, “NEW-TOPIA”. It was the first time in 11 years that MAMA took place only in South Korea.
The criteria for the final winners (Grand awards) were as follows:
Album of the Year – 40% judge panel, 60% physical album sales. Worldwide Icon of the Year, Worldwide Fans’ Choice Top 10 – 60% official votes, 20% social media votes, 20% global music video views. Best Music Video – 70% judge panel, 30% global music video views.
In 2020, k-pop and k-dramas have gained a lot of support from their Indian fans. Keeping this in mind, we also got to see many Indian audiences in the live broadcast of the awards.
Here are some highlights from the awards :
- The awards started with the performance of Lee Tae-min, also known as Taemin, and ended with a grand performance of the worldwide k-pop sensation, BTS, also known as Bangtan Sonyeondan.
- BTS won 4 Daesangs (Grand awards) second year in a row, after which the group congratulated and thanked the Army all around the world. All the Army’s all around the world including our Desi Army’s must be feeling so proud for their favourite group.
- Among all the awards, BTS won a total of 8 awards including the Daesang awards.
- The awards that BTS won are- Best dance performance male group, the album of the year, worldwide fans choice, best music video, a worldwide icon of the year, best male group, the song of the year, and last but not the least artist of the year.
- IU and Suga of BTS won the best collaboration award for their song “Eight”. Though they can’t make it through the award ceremony, they thanked their fans for their love and support.
- Starting with the performance of Taemin we got to see many marvellous and breath-taking performances of Jessi, Hwa-sa, Oh My Girl, Ateez, TXT, Seventeen, GOT7, Treasure, Twice, NCT, The Boyz, Stray Kids, Monsta X, Mamamoo, JO1, IZ*ONE, Enhypen, Cravity, (G)I-DLE, BoA, and last but not the least BTS.
- Kwon Bo-ah, known by the stage name BoA, got a special tribute stage on the occasion of her 20year anniversary in the k-pop industry. BoA has been recognized as one of the most successful and influential Korean entertainers, and is also called as the “Queen of K-pop.”
- MAMA 2020 described the role that k-pop, k-dramas and k-movies played in everyone’s life in this hard time all over the world.
- ● At the end, BTS gave a grand performance which included their 3 dynamic songs of the year- ON, Dynamite and Life goes on.
- The award ended with the new topia as- “Music Makes One”
What was your favourite highlight from the MAMA 2020? Tell us below.